September 18, 2012

2012 - A Summer to Remember!


Amanda Haynes, our long term volunteer from the Mission Society, has been  a tremendous blessing.  She stepped in during Donna's absence to take on some of her duties:  helping with teams, caring for the children, shopping for groceries, and being a friend to many of the children.  We are so thankful for her servant's heart, and she will be missed very much. 

“This has by far been the most incredible experience of my life,
and I have fallen in love with everyone here at IAA.  I expected to
fall in love with the children, but I never could have imagined the
relationships God has built between the staff and myself.  They have
taken WONDERFUL care of me since I have been here and have truly
become my Kenyan family.  I would LOVE to spend as much time here at IAA as I possibly can. I love being a part of this team!  Right now I am really praying about what God has in store for my future and how IAA is a part of it. I would really appreciate your prayers over the next couple of weeks as
I try to transition back to TN life."

Thank you SO MUCH for everything!
Amanda Haynes, TN

Bringing God's Word to the Women of Kenya






"I have many fond memories of my time in Kenya – the warm, welcoming faces of the women; the joyful smiles of the children.  One of the most precious memories I will hold in my heart is when we handed out Bibles to the women.  An older woman wept – holding onto God’s word for the first time in her life.  She hugged me over and over, crying and thanking God for sending us.  I am so humbled that God allowed me to witness that moment – when a daughter of the Lord held her Daddy’s love letter for the very first time.  It was so incredibly beautiful!"

Lori Behrman, IN

"I went to Kenya to bring the Word of God to the ladies attending New Life Christian Church's Ladies Bible Conference.  I left Kenya bringing them home with me in my heart.  Previous mission teams that I have served with focused mostly on improving day-to-day life in a way that is fitting within the culture, with prayer tossed in for good measure.  The Spirit touched my heart through this trip.  Helping in any culturally relevant way to improve a peoples' day-to-day existence is something we are all to do, but teaching God's Word to hungry hearts is the only thing that will change their lives, and it is what I must do.  Seeing faces seeking, praising, praying to God touched my soul in a way that only the Spirit can.  I hope to return!"

Laura Stuart, IN

Regent University Trauma Team 

"Looking back at the time I had in Kenya and serving at Into Abba's Arms, I still 
have difficulty summarizing all of the new and unparalleled experiences I received over the summer. I had never thought of myself as one who was called to serve in Africa, and I even debated with myself about going to Kenya for this trip. However, as soon as I was at IAA and began to meet the staff and the children, I was able to see the vision God has for IAA, for the community, and for Kenya. There were many unforgettable moments. The first full day I spent outside of IAA was when I visited the IDP camp. The people I met there seemed to have nothing to live for, yet I found that many of them were filled with hope and are continuing to persevere. Another day was spent by visiting the local farmers in the area surrounding IAA. Talking with the farmers reminded me that all over the world, people share the same concerns and problems. Lastly, on the day we hosted a conference for local women at IAA, I was astounded to see the tremendous hunger to learn and to attend our educational talks about trauma, domestic violence, and conflict resolution.  I would not have fathomed the experiences and learning moments that God was able to show me while serving at IAA. Though I entered into this experience with a hesitant heart, I came home with a humbled heart filled with gratitude."




Erik Lohmann, PsyD Student
Regent University, VA


 






Woodsedge Church Returns to Kenya...

“The majority of our Kenya trip was spent at the IAA orphanage. We not only stayed at the orphanage and worked but also got to interact with the staff and children. The team spent much of their time painting the boys’ dorm room and bathroom, the preschool room, and kitchen. Greg and I spent all of our time tiling two of the boys’ showers.  Each evening we were able to spend a couple of hours playing with the kids and reading stories to them. They are so full of laughter and joy. The staff at IAA were amazing! They care for these kids day and night and it is so evident in the way they are treated and loved. We ate great food cooked by Mama Jane and enjoyed worshipping with the staff and kids on Sunday. We also had the privilege of serving at the IDP camp for two days. The first day we played games with the kids: jump ropes, soccer, parachutes, handed out salvation bracelets and rubber boots for the kids.  We truly felt our hearts join in with the African people and so look forward to being with them again in the future.”  

Melissa Teal, TX

...and Brings Boots for Tiny Souls

It started with a vision from a young girl named Corey (2011 Woodsedge Team Member).  After seeing the children in the IPD camp running around barefoot in deplorable conditions, the Lord put it on her heart to provide rubber boots for each child.  She returned to the US and began a year-long fundraising campaign to buy 650 pair (one for each child) of rubber boots.  This summer her vision led Jeff Miller (Lead Children's Pastor) and Woodsedge Church to join her efforts during their VBS program. They challenged the children to raise money to add to Corey’s boot fund.  Corey traveled with the Woodsedge team to Kenya again in June to personally place the boots on the children’s feet.  God is giving Corey a bigger picture now.  Her dream is to sell items from Africa to help support women and children that live in these conditions all over Kenya. 



Homecoming

"My time at IAA this summer would best be described by the words Mum Pocy greeted me with when I first arrived: “Welcome home.” I’m so thankful I was able to spend my third summer in a row with the children and staff who have become family to me. Our time together is always filled with joy and love, and the hardest part is saying goodbye when it is time to leave. But even though thousands of miles separate us now, letters and phone calls are reminders of our love for each other and keep us together. Sharon left me a voicemail soon after I left, and this was the first thing I saw when I landed home in the United States. It served as another reminder that our journey together isn’t over yet, and praise God for that!"

Kristin Klein, WA


From Georgia Brinner, TX

Our mission trip was a time of truly reflecting on the heart of our Lord Jesus.  Several scriptures come to mind that I would like to share.

Matthew 25:40
 “The King will reply, ‘Truly, I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’"

Mark 10:14

"When  Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, 'Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these.'"

John 21:16

"Again Jesus said, 'Simon son of John, do you love me?' He answered, 'Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.' Jesus said, 'Take care of my sheep.'"

"One of the highlights of our mission trip was getting to stay at the children’s home, Into Abba’s Arms.  What a delight it was to see children living in a home atmosphere, being fed well and educated.  This home reflected the above three scriptures.  Here lies an example of one person stepping out in faith to build a safe haven providing hope and protection to the ones in their care.  I was impressed by the organization of the home.  I could tell that a lot of thought and prayer had gone behind the scenes to enable the home to run efficiently.  Some of the sights I saw were:  clothes being washed and hung on the line to dry, food being prepared during the day continually along with dishes being washed, teachers teaching in different areas on the grounds, children enjoying the evening hours together being warmed by electric heaters, gardens being tended to, and men working on building a wall behind the campus.  My prayer is that God leads others to support this ministry and may the children know how blessed they are to be in this environment. 

Sometimes as believers it is overwhelming when we look at all the needs in the world.  I want to thank all those who are allowing God to use them to love the one he puts in front of them.  My prayer for myself is that I will continue to honor what God has shown me on this mission trip." 




 Truly an Amazing Experience!

"If you asked me what I liked most about Africa, that’s easy to answer, the children! They absolutely capture your heart. I had no idea how hard it would be to leave.  I especially connected with Johnny, a young man who lives at Into Abba’s Arms. He followed me to the van as I was loading my luggage and neither of us could find the words to say. All I could do was hug him tightly and tell him I promised I would come back.


A few days ago I read in a Kenyan newspaper about an ongoing political problem in Sudan that is causing 1000 young men like Johnny to come to Kenya in search refuge. These young men are arriving with only grass in their stomachs, carrying their siblings on their backs and risking lion attacks to get there.

When I read this story, I became more convicted that as God’s people we must not stop caring about children around the world who are suffering. I believe the prayers of these children have reached the throne of God and He wants us to act on their behalf.

I am grateful for the opportunity to spend these past few weeks showing a few children the love of Jesus. He used this time to shape and mold a new dream in my heart .”  
Older children pictured with:  Mandy Swilley (left),
Pastor Kent, Shalayne Janis, and Amanda Haynes

Kent Williams, MO

New Friends and Family

"Africa is amazing. I was blessed to stay at IAA and meet the wonderful 
little ones who live there. Jacob taught me how to be strong and courageous, and to date I have yet to experience another diaper as powerful as his. Kevin, 
Kennedy, Francis, and Joseph told me the best joke I've ever heard. Grace and 
Eunice made teaching math lots of fun and beyond interesting. The way the kids worship is beautiful, when children genuinely love the Lord and they want to let Him know it... nothing can compare. I'm not the same person or Christian I was before I went to Kenya, and I'm thankful for everything God was able to work in me through this adventure. I can't thank Teacha, Mum Pocy, Mum Agneta and Mum Salome enough for being my mom's-away-from-my-own-mommy. I love my Kenyan family <3 and I'm so grateful for all of the beautiful people I can call my friends and family because of the experiences God blessed me with in Kenya. 

P.S. A special shout out to Kristin & Kelly Klein for showing me the ropes, 
guiding me through foreign and scary airports...and making me laugh like crazy! Y'all are the best! Thanks for helping me bring a little Texas to Africa.

Alexa Guess, TX


The Fingerprints of God

"I can go through each child with a precious story, but there is not space for it all.  I want to praise the staff at IAA because they are so much more than employees.  These children are very secure in themselves.  Not one demonstrates any fear or life.  Yes, some are shy, but that is not being fearful.  On Sunday mornings when they are asked if any want to give a testimony...all march right up, take the microphone and have something positive to say and praise the Lord.  That is all due to the love of the staff and the love of the Lord.  

I have said before, but it bears repeating, IAA is not an institution.  It is a home, a family, a lot like the Duggers on the TV show, only our children came to be family by selection.  The fingerprints of God are all over this place.  

Please consider visiting one day.  Until then, pray for the children and staff.  Pray for the future children that the Lord will bring into the family.  Pray for the funds as IAA continues to give a hope and a future where there once was no hope at all."   

Blessings,
Mandy Swilley, TX








No comments:

Post a Comment